Stellar Fields Set for Saturday’s adidas Dream Mile
Bernie Montoya to defend title; Will one or more high school boys break the coveted sub-4 minute Mile barrier?
NEW YORK – (May 21, 2013) – Twenty-eight of the top U.S. high school Mile athletes including defending champion Bernie Montoya are expected at the adidas Dream Mile to be contested at the adidas Grand Prix track meet in New York City on Saturday, May 25.
Last year, Montoya led a record nine U.S. boys under 4 minutes and 5 seconds, clocking 4:01.32 (#1 Mile time for 2012 and #3 all-time high school-only competition). This year, there is talk of one or more boys running sub-4 minutes for the iconic Mile distance. To-date, only five U.S. high school boys have broken the coveted standard: Jim Ryun (1964), Tim Danielson (1966), Marty Liquori (1967), Alan Webb (2001) and Lukas Verzbicas (2011).
The 2013 roster below includes eight athletes ranked #1 in the country, with several leading the way at more than one distance. Athletes will travel to NYC from 18 states, as well as from Ontario, Canada. The Mile races will be streamed live online beginning at 3:00pm EST at www.adidasgoldenstripes.com.
adidas Dream Mile Records
3:59.71, Lukas Verzbicas (IL), 2011
4:39.64, Cami Chapus (CA), 2012
BOYS DREAM MILE
- Andres Arroyo, Orlando, FL, 1:47.79 800m this season #1 U.S. and #6 all-time, U.S. #1 1600m (4:04.45)
- Edward Cheserek, Newark, NJ, national indoor HS 2-mile (8:39.15) and indoor HS 5000m (13:57.04) record-holder
- Robert Domanic, Lewisville, TX, 2013 state champion 1600m and 3200m, U.S. #3 1600m
- Trevor Gilley, Southlake, TX, U.S. #5 1600m, NB indoor nationals runner-up, Mile
- Blake Haney, Bakersfield, CA, two-time Dream Miler, U.S. #4 1600m and 3200m
- Ben Malone, River Vale, NJ, #2 U.S. Mile as runner-up to McGorty at Penn Relays
- Sean McGorty, Chantilly, VA, U.S. #1 Mile (4:04.47) in setting Penn Relays record, #2 3200m
- Bernie Montoya, Yuma, AZ, defending Dream Mile champion, 4:01.32 PR; U.S. #3 1600m
- Connor Mora, Cedar Springs, MI, U.S. #1 1500m (3:49.36)
- James Randon, Townsend, MA, U.S. #2 1500m
- Ben Saarel, Park City, UT, U.S. #1 3000m (8:18.98) and 3200m (8:45.74)
- Jacob Thomson, Louisville, KY, 10-time state champion, U.S. #4 Mile, U.S. #5 3200m
- Henry Wynne, Westport, CT, 2013 HS indoor national Mile champion
- Cameron Villarreal, Arlington, TX, U.S. #6 Mile, 2013 Golden South Classic champion
GIRLS DREAM MILE
- Reagan Anderson, Wilmington, DE, U.S. #4 Mile as Penn Relays runner-up
- Sydney Badger, Las Vegas, NV, U.S. #10 Mile, 2013 state champion 800m, 1600m, 3200m, 4x400m
- Madie Boreman, Leander, TX, U.S. #7 1600m, 2013 state champion 1600m, runner-up 3200m
- Carmen Carlos, Mobile, AL, 3-time 2013 6A state champion (800m, 1600m, 3200m), U.S. #8 1600m, #9 Mile and 3200m
- Sarah Feeney, Provo, UT, U.S. #11 1600m, state 3A 1600m record holder
- Erin Finn, West Bloomfield, MI, 2012 HS national indoor champion and #2 all-time 5000m
- Wesley Frazier, Raleigh, NC, U.S. indoor HS 5000m national record holder and NC state record holder (4:42.78) in mile; U.S. #5 1600m
- Stephanie Jenks, Marion, IA, U.S. #10 1500m, state champion and Drake Relays champ, 1500m and 3000m, member Team USA, Jr. Pan Am Triathlon Championships
- Shea Martinez, Kaysville, UT, U.S. #6 800m, 2013 Arcadia 800m and Mile champion
- Haley Meier, Grosse Pointe Farms, MI, U.S. #4 indoors in Mile for 2013
- Hannah Meier, Grosse Pointe Farms, MI, U.S. #3 indoors Mile 2013 and the national indoor runner-up; competed at 1500m for USA team at 2012 World Junior Championships
- Jaimie Phelan, Kitchener, CAN, 2013 Penn Relays Mile champion (4:50.60); 2012 3000m Canadian Junior champion
- Arin Rice, Canyon, TX, 2013 800m state champion, 2012 1600m state champion, U.S. #10 1600m
- Sabrina Southerland, Queens, NY, 2013 HS indoor national champion 800m, U.S. #2 Mile (4:47.23)
The adidas Dream Mile is again destined to be among the highlights of the adidas Grand Prix. The third stop on the international IAAF Diamond League circuit, the adidas Grand Prix is in its ninth year at Icahn Stadium, in conjunction with the Randall’s Island Sports Alliance. One of the top track-and-field events in the world, the event will feature dozens of international superstars, including 2012 Olympic medalists David Rudisha, Jenn Suhr, Veronica Campbell-Brown, Sanya Richards-Ross, Brittney Reese, Michael Tinsley, Javier Culson, Francena McCorory and Bianca Knight. Tickets are available at www.adidasgrandprix.com or by calling 1-877-849-8722.