Festival of Miles Announces Field for Saint Louis Track Club Elite Men’s Mile
Pifer, Braun and Solares headline deepest field in meet history; sixth BBTM Tour 2013 stop
ST. LOUIS – The Big River Festival of Miles presented by Under Armour, the sixth stop on the inaugural Bring Back the Mile Tour 2013, has released the field for the Saint Louis Track Club Elite Men’s Mile on Thursday, May 30. Traditionally the highlight of the evening, the Men’s Mile has produced nine sub-4 minute miles in the last four years including the meet and State record of 3:55.29 set by Olympic silver medalist Leo Manzano in 2009. This year’s field includes nine men who have already broken four or run the equivalent for 1500 meters. Included in that group of nine are Edwardsville (IL) native Stephen Pifer, 2013 GO! St. Louis Half Marathon champion Aaron Braun and 3:54 miler Pablo Solares of Mexico.
Festival of Miles meet director Ben Rosario said this year’s group was assembled in record time.
“With the continued growth and popularity of the meet is was actually really easy to put this field together,” Rosario said. “Most of these guys came to us because they know the Festival of Miles is a place where people run fast and where the atmosphere is electric.”
In addition to setting the mark for being fastest the field has ever been filled, this could be the year that Manzano’s meet and Missouri record goes down. Solares owns a personal best under the record, Pifer’s best time is just a second away and Braun’s 1500 meter best equates to a 3:57. Plus, this year’s prize structure includes a new $1000 meet record bonus for the winner if he goes under 3:55.29.
Rosario said that the bonus will serve to keep the pace honest throughout the race.
“In the past things have slowed a bit on the third lap because I think everyone wanted to save something for the kick,” Rosario said. “Now I think they’ll be more likely to keep it hot so they’ll have a shot at that sub 3:55.”
Challenging Pifer, Braun and Solares will likely be former University of Arkansas star Duncan Phillips and 2010 runner-up Tommy Schmitz. The winner of this year’s race could receive as much as $4000 with $1000 for the win, the Big River Running Company sub-4 Bonus for breaking four minutes, the $1000 for the meet record and a possible extra $1000 if he wins the XS Energy Battle of the Sexes Bonus. That will go to the winner of the mile or the winner of the Speed Factory Athletics Women’s 800 Meter, depending on whose time is superior according to the IAAF scoring charts. The field for the women’s 800 has been announced and includes defending champion Heather Kampf, rising star Lea Wallace and local favorite Shannon Leinert.
The Festival of Miles Foundation is a non-profit organization whose mission is to promote the sport of track and field and give back to athletes in need. Each year all proceeds from ticket sales go to an athlete in need. For more information, visit: www.stlfestivalofmiles.com
Members of the media interested in learning more about the Festival of Miles are encouraged to contact Ben Rosario at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (314) 494-9725.
* Editor’s Note: 2012 runner-up Craig Miller was added to the field after this press release was written
Saint Louis Track Club Elite Men’s Mile
- Stephen Pifer, Speed Factory Athletics, (3:38 1500m, 3:56 mile, Edwardsville native)
- Craig Miller, New Balance, (3:36 1500, 2012 FOM runner-up)
- Aaron Braun, adidas-McMillanElite, (3:39 1500m, GO! St. Louis Half champ)
- Pablo Solares, Bay Area Track Club, (3:36 1500m, 3:54 mile, Mexico)
- Duncan Phillips, Austin Track Club, (3:39 1500m, 3:58 mile, 5 x NCAA All-American)
- Tommy Schmitz, Saucony, (3:39 1500m, 3:58 mile, FOM runner-up 2010)
- Jordan Horn, Brooks, (3:58 mile)
- Daniel Clark, unattached, (3:39 1500m)
- Colton Tully-Doyle, Brooks, (7:53 3000m, 3:58 DMR Split)
- Graham Morris, University of Illinois, (3:41 1500m, 4:00 mile)
- Dan Stockberger, Team Indiana Elite, (3:42 1500m, 3 x NCAA All-American)
- Scott Smith, adidas-McMillanElite, (3:44 1500m)