State Mile Guide: #1 Delaware
Date of Statehood: December 7, 1787
Motto: Liberty & Independence
Delaware is one of only eight states in which no athlete has broken the coveted 4 minute Mile mark on its soil (track). Vic Zwolak, born in Wilmington, who is one of the most accomplished Delaware Milers and its first track & field Olympian (Tokyo 1964, Steeplechase), was also a three-time NCAA champion at Villanova where he won the 1963 cross country title as well as the 1963-64 3000m Steeplechase crowns. For women, two-time Olympian (1988 & 1996) and Wilmington native Vicki Huber holds the overall Mile record (4:28.31 indoors in 1988), and she continues to hold the Mile records, indoor & outdoor, at Villanova.
In 2018, Sam Parsons became the first Delawarean to go sub-4 in the Mile, clocking 3:59.70 in New York.
At the high school level, Tatnall HS has dominated the middle distance lists (see the below). Haley Pierce's 4:45.72 Mile at the 2011 adidas Grand Prix in New York is the prep state record.
Vic Zwolak winning the 1963 NCAA Cross Country title for Villanova
Male: 4:01.1i Morgan Mosser (USA / PA), 1971
Female: Need - email us
i = indoors
Male: 3:57.36i, Kieran Tuntivate, 2020
Female: 4:28.31i & 4:28.77, Vicki Huber, 1988
i = indoors
Mile: 4:13.82, Dominic Della Pelle, Salesianum HS, 2006
1600m: 4:11.93, Brian Sklodowski, Tatnall HS, 2006
Mile: 4:45.72, Haley Pierce, Tatnall HS, 2011
1600m: 4:41.19, Haley Pierce, Tatnall HS, 2011
BBTM’s state-by-state Mile guide is being produced to share the rich story of each state’s history with the Mile, a distance regardless of age, gender or fitness-level, that everyone understands. If you consider yourself a Delawarean T&F sage and would like to help us fill out our guide, leave comments below or email email@example.com. We welcome your support and feedback!
- General State Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delaware
- Vic Zwolak: http://villanovarunning.blogspot.com/2011/04/three-time-ncaa-champ-vic-zwolak-still.html
- Vicki Huber: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicki_Huber; also stats courtesy E. Garry Hill, Track & Field News
- HS Stats & Records: https://sites.google.com/site/n5cta2/outdoor-track-and-field
- Delaware T&F Hall of Fame: https://www.delawaretrackandfieldhof.org/hall-of-fame-inductees/
- Thank you to the following Delawarean T&F sages for their contributions: Michael Tait and Rick Schuder